PRESCOTT, AZ, March 19, 2021 –The Prescott National Forest will begin opening family campgrounds across the Forest on Thursday, April 1. Several developed recreation sites will remain closed to protect public health and safety and limit the spread of COVID-19.
Developed recreation sites open:
· White Spar Campground
· Powell Springs Campground
· Yavapai Campground
· Alto Pit OHV Campground
· Hayfield Draw OHV Day-Use Area (September 1 through May 31)
· Granite Basin Recreation Day-Use Area
· Lynx Lake Recreation Day-Use Area
· Thumb Butte Recreation Day-Use Area
· Mingus Mountain Recreation Day-Use Area
· Sycamore Cabin (available Thursday-Sunday, with a 2 night minimum stay)
Developed recreation sites that open April 1:
· Hilltop Campground
· Lynx Lake Campground
Developed Recreation sites that open May 1:
· Potato Patch Campground
· Mingus Mountain Campground
· Groom Creek Horse Camp
Developed recreation sites that will remain closed:
· Group Campgrounds – Eagle Ridge, Playground, Turney Gulch and Upper Wolf Creek
· Group Day-use Sites – Thumb Butte Group Picnic Site, Groom Creek Schoolhouse Group Day-Use and Nature Trail, Spruce Mountain Picnic Area
· Family Campgrounds – Hazlett Hollow, Lower Wolf Creek
· Cabin Rentals – Horsethief Basin Cabin
Most developed campgrounds on the Prescott NF accept reservations, with a few sites available on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations can be made online at Recreation.gov. Reservations for group sites for the 2021 season are not being accepted at this time.
Leave no trace
If you are planning to visit the Prescott NF, please remember to:
- Be a good steward and recreate responsibly.
- Avoid crowded areas to maintain social distancing and limit group size.
- Park only in designated areas. Do not impede emergency access by blocking roadways, fire lanes or driveways.
- Follow “Leave No Trace” principles, including “pack it in, pack it out” with your trash, to avoid creating a public health hazard for forest visitors and employees.
· Follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance on protecting yourself and others from COVID-19.